Cowherd Middle School opened its doors to middle school students in the Fall of 1992. There were about 40 staff members at that time. During that first year, there were about 540 students. This was the first year that the District included grades 6-8 in one building! The 7th and 8th grade students were housed in the west end of the building and 6th graders were housed in the far east end of the building. When it opened, CMS did not have a dress code!
Today, CMS has 1050 students and about 110 staff members (and a dress code!). The 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students share hallways in Small Learning Communities, allowing their teachers to be in Professional Learning Communities. Cowherd students enjoy a variety of athletics and activities. We are proud to be a school committed to ongoing positive change!
Cowherd Middle School is named after Henry W. Cowherd, a life-long Auroran who attended East Side schools. He is a 1945 graduate of East High School. The motto of the Class of ’45 was “Time brings all things.” This class motto was prophetic for our school’s namesake! Prior to his retirement, Mr. Cowherd experienced success in the business world. He and his wife of over 50 years still live in the CMS neighborhood. He is truly a supporter of Tomcats and Cougars!